Monday, July 21, 2008

Our Hopes for Many Happy Years......


...with our sweet rabbit are not to be.

Hoppers has passed on.

Last night when we came home from having our Sunday Sundaes I found Hoppers sitting in a rather smelly puddle. I cleaned her and her cage, but I was very worried about her. Rabbits are very low on the food chain and when they finally show that they are sick, often times they have been sick for a while. If it had been during the week, I would have taken her to the vet, but on a Sunday night that doesn't work so well.

I took her outside and cleaned her and her cage right up. I put fresh hay in her cage and she settled down on it. She was very still... not nearly as hoppy as usual. I could tell there was something wrong, but there wasn't much I could do. Usually Hoppers cage is in the laundry room. I decided to keep her in the kitchen so I could keep an eye on her. In the morning she was more still then any sweet rabbit should ever be.

We are burying Hoppers under the Oak Tree that we planted in the spring.


The children are dealing with so many emotions on this. This is the closest death has ever hit them and they are devastated... each in their own way. I will admit freely that I have shed many tears over this bunny myself. We have such wonderful memories of this baby.

The Girl is in wailing mode and really doesn't understand things like why Hoppers needs to be buried and not just keep Hoppers the way she is in our home.

The Boy is very sad, and though he has cried, he is not the wailing type. He is more the type to internalize everything. I am sure I will feel and see the effects of this in the week or more to come though.

We did discuss where Hoppers is now. I know that the Bible doesn't really tell us what happens to our pets. I was always taught that they simply are no more because they do not have spirits. I do feel though that we have an awesome and loving and caring God and that he understands and knows and FEELS what is going on. I could believe that he makes special allowances for animals that have held such special places in our hearts.

Perhaps Hoppers is sitting on God's lap right now, reaching up and giving Him the sweet whisker kisses we have been blessed with for the last five years. I can neither confirm or deny this, but in my very human state, I really like the way it sounds to me.

You will be missed Hoppers.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh, I am so so sorry for your loss of your little fuzz ball. :( I have shed a few tears today over your family today. I'm sorry.

Anonymous said...

I remember when J use to call him Hop Hop. I'm sad for everyone. I recently saw a woman addressing a crowd about the dog she lost down the street from our house during a thunder storm. I could tell that she was heart-broken as she urgently handed out the pink fliers. I still look for this dog every time I drive in my neighborhood.

Susan

 

just to name a few... | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates