Tuesday, October 7, 2008

been thinking...

About a few things. John is TDY this week and this is the first time in a long time that he has been gone for a bit.

I think he is supposed to leave for these periods of time for a few reasons.

1. The military wants him to. They own him... they get to send him to Vegas if they want him to gamble. Granted that is not what he is doing, he is just taking a boring training class in Jersey, but still.

2. It reminds me of how amazing he really is AND how much he does around this house. Just like sometimes a man needs to be left to do everything without the wife to appreciate what she does everyday, I need to be left without John to realize how very much he does here to help me.

3. It reminds me in the slightest way what I had to put up with during those last two deployments and makes me grateful he is not deployed... again.

4. It helps me have some perspective on the Single Mom. Though I still don't fully get it since I do not have to provide income for my little brood... I am all alone. I cannot run to Lowe's to pick up PVC for an art class I teach without VVVEEEEERRRRRYYYY SSSSSLLLLOOOOOWWWWWLLLLLYYYYYYY corralling my kids through there and back out and without losing one of them or accidentally shoplifting something, or accidentally tying one of them on the roof instead of the PVC. It could happen you know. They are just as unweildly. No lies there at all.

On that note, someday I will count how many times I call my daughter's name in a given day to get her back on track. My rough guesstimate is around 400. I am not kidding AT ALL. Just ask anyone that is around us... or sits through a gymnastic class watching her... or teaches her at church or Co-op... or ballet.

Alright, so you get it? I suppose I should say that yes, once again, I have woken up to the fact that John does a lot. Life alone is hard. I hate shopping ANYWHERE with kids and yes... I have grown to love the shift key again.

SO, on that note. I now have to run and cut 30 odd pieces of PVC pipe so that the kids and I can make didgeridoos tomorrow in our Art class during Co-op I should also find my kitchen table. I think it is somewhere out there under the mess we made on it today. OH! And I forgot... I need to compile the Australian Meat Pie that I am making for the Co-op potluck tomorrow. We are studying Australia. I am sure you couldn't tell.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I can totally relate. Just yesterday, I needed to install new batteries in yet another baby toy. Normally, this is something that I would just leave on the counter, and my husband would get out his little tools, unscrew the back, and install the correct kind of batteries. It's an easy job, and I know how to do it myself, but I like to leave those projects for Daddy so he gets to maintain his Hero status....Daddy! The Fixer of All Not Working Toys.

BUT (notice my use of the shift key too :) ) since my hubby isn't around, first the toy sat on the counter for three days, I finally found the time to get out the toolbox from storage in the garage, unscrew the back of said toy, and find that I had run out of the correct size of batteries. So, I had to corral the kids and SLOWLY go to the store and get the right kind. ALONE! Not that I can just zip to the store, oh no!

Asking God for an extra measure of sanity for you today.

 

just to name a few... | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates