Monday, December 29, 2008

moving and grooving and reflecting

Today I went on a total cleaning spree and moved furniture and vacuumed like my life depended on it. I have a love relationship with my vacuum cleaner so he and I hung out all day. We did the walls, the floors and touched up the drapes!

Then I folded all the laundry and washed all the bedding in the house.

I have still resisted the urge to take down the Christmas decorations but it is hard for me this year.

It took me a long time to get into the Christmas spirit thing and now I want all the decor gone so that it will be easier to clean and organize again.

I am resisting as long as I can for the kids. They love the Christmas stuff and I want them to enjoy it.

Oh, I had a question about my Jesse tree. One of my amazing readers had never heard of such a thing, so I will tell you a little bit about ours.

Last year I found this book at the church book store. It had directions for making a banner and then making felt and embroidered ornaments to hang on it. The idea is that you do a Bible reading for each day tracing the story of Christ through the entire Bible and you hang an ornament that helps to symbolize that story each day.

Well, not to disapoint you all, but I don't think I could embroider all of those ornaments in a year's time. That just isn't a skill I have learned yet. So, I pulled out something that I did know how to do and that is clay. I made all the ornaments, with my kids, out of polymer clay. We baked them in the oven and we started doing our readings.

Last year when I started this my kids were young. They were 4 and 6 and well, they couldn't sit through all the scripture readings that they had laid out for us in this book, so I would use the stories from the Children's Bibles that we have around and sometimes I would read portions of the actual Bible story and sometimes I would read portions and paraphrase it all so the kids would get it better. It worked out great!


These are a few pictures of our ornaments on our Jesse Tree. You can spot a burning coal in tongs as in Isaiah, a scroll as in the scroll of Caesar calling for the census, the fish as in Jonah and the Great Fish, the ram from Abraham and Issac, the Rainbow from Noah's ark, the tree in The Garden.

You may spot others as you look at the pictures. The entire collage can be clicked on to enlarge it.

This has been a wonderful way for us to reflect daily on the wonder of the season. It has made our Christmas season much more meaningful.

I have more to post concerning Christmas but that will be saved for another post.

6 comments:

Edwards Family said...

Awesome idea... we do the advent calendar, but I could so see the kids enjoying the decorating of their tree every night:)

Anna said...

I should probably add that it is called the Jesse tree from the Jesse of the Old Testament. They use a scripture to support the name of the tree. Jesse was the base of the house of David, from whom Christ's earthly roots came. When I get home I will look up the exact scripture in my book.

I am down visiting my friends but of course, I am checking in cause I love you guys. ;)

merri said...

Sigh, my sweeper and I spent a lot of time together too, I can't go a day without spending time with him.
Anna, I hope you have a Wonderful New Years!
love,
Kris

Jill said...

Love your Jesse tree! What a great idea. :)

Scooter said...

The Jesse Tree is an awesome idea, and I think I just may have to steal it for next year ;>). My Littles are older, and could totally get into making, baking and painting some clay ornaments. Note to self ... do not forget this next December!

FHL said...

I love that idea! Can you send me the name and author of the book! You're ornaments came out amazing as well!

Now um....if you've run out of special places to share with your beloved machine, feel free to head on over here anytime! I can even give you a key for your more desperate..."I NEED to sweep" moments ;o)

 

just to name a few... | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates