Wednesday, January 21, 2009

simple works for me wednesday

I am participating in Rocks in My Dryer's Blog Carnival. Every Wednesday she does a Works for Me Wednesday and many, many times I want to participate and don't because, well, I really feel like I have some issues and there isn't much that works for me that I am happy with. I am continually trying to find things that work better. But, eh, I am taking the plunge.

I have found lately that simple is working for me. For example, we have had these great cordless phones and recently the batteries on BOTH of them stopped holding a charge for very long and with me that is a problem because I always forget to put them on the charger. I have driven over five miles with a phone on the hood of my car. It made it to the farm in one piece. No kidding. Unfortunately I got terrible reception out there.

So the phones finally just quit. Both of them. I have to get batteries for them, but since they are over two years old they don't seem to have replacement batteries just anywhere. I mean most people apparently don't care if their phone lasts that long but oddly enough I think my things should last forever. So, in the seach for new batteries for my phone I had to buy something to serve me in the meantime. My husband is in the military and they have to be able to reach him whenever they feel like it. So I bought this puppy. It is simple. It has a cord. It makes me stay in the kitchen when I talk on it. That sounds bad, BUT I have one big benefit from it. My kitchen has been much cleaner! I am trapped into cleaning! I highly recommend it.



I have one more amazing item of simplicity for you today folks! So don't run away yet.

We homeschool and my children are addicted to very sharp point pencils. They will not write with a dull pencil point. I can understand this even though it does get annoying when I am trying to work with them and they HAVE to sharpen their pencil. The problem was exasperated even more when I had an electric pencil sharpener. That thing would just not sharpen correctly. It drove me nuts. They would keep messing up their pencil and it would take forever. FOREVER! I do not have tons of patience for things that should be simple and are not. So, after many versions of very, supposedly, high quality electric sharpeners, I picked up this little baby.



Guess what? It works and it works great!!! You need one of these guys! You can tell people that it is an antique if you need to! It sits right on my kitchen counter cause that is where we do school and it works awesome! Pencil points come out perfect every time and it doesn't look like it will break anytime soon.

So, what works for me is simple! Embrace the simple life!!!
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Susan said...

I have simplified my life and lengthened the life of my clothes by not using/owning a dryer for laundry. It sounds like a nightmare, but I just hang my clothes on racks in the house the old fashioned way. Saves on energy and I avoid the shrink problem.

FHL said...

Hee hee....I read Susan's comment and the first thing I thought is, ummm, I simplify my life by just not washing my clothes...but that's a post for no-not-me-monday! :-O

Promise this is only for second time wearing of slacks and layered sweaters/sweatshirts though! So it's safe to stand down-wind of me....sometimes *wink* :o)

BarbaraLee said...

That is me. Simple.
Do you know how hard it is to find a simple washer & dryer? I don't want all those special buttons and settings on my appliances. But you just can't find them.

Scooter said...

Love simple, and learning to love it more. Thanks for the reminder that techno isn't always where it's at.

applesofgold said...

We have gone through half a dozen pencil sharpeners trying to get the right one. I have been trying to steal the one I had when I was a kid from my mother for years now, but she won't part with it. I will look around for that one...maybe my search is over, finally.

hip chick said...

We have a wall corded phone also. We got ours because in a house full of teenagers you can never find the phone! the funny thing is they all have cell's and insist that they don't use the home phone. No one knows how it ended up under piles of laundry in one of their bedrooms. It's also great when you lose electricity.

 

just to name a few... | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates