Wednesday, January 28, 2009

spelling in egypt


Sometimes when you work with creative kids (btw, I believe all kids are innately creative) you need to think like a creative kid.

Everyday I have my kids spell out the spelling words for the week. They can do this in many, many ways and I will be highlighting those here as we work through our wide variety of ways.

Today, I will show you how we incorporate ancient history into spelling.

My kids LOVE ancient Egypt. We have studied it quite a bit and they know more then most adults when it comes to this culture in particular.



They were not wanting to do their spelling words today at all until I gave them the job of apprentice scribe. They had to use manila paper and only their black water colors with small brushes to do their words. I constantly called them, "Young Scribe." and they played along quite well.

2 comments:

Jill (Sneaky Momma) said...

How fun! My first graders loved to practice their words in a small amount of shaving cream. It left our room smelling wonderfully and cleaned the desktops, too. :)

Jill (Sneaky Momma) said...

I have something for you over at my blog. Feel free to pick it up and pass it along!

 

just to name a few... | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates