Friday, May 15, 2009

downtown



Recently the whole family went on a field trip with the homeschool group to downtown. We visited the Old Courthouse where some very famous cases were heard and where new things in architecture were discovered. We went to the arch to hang out for a bit and I took MANY pictures.

These are two of them. Normally my camera is trained on kids and on nature, but on this day it was the architecture that really caught my eye.

I did mess with the shadow and steeliness on the Arch and I think it turned out quite nice. I was tempted to drag the contrast further, but decided that this was a happy medium. I did like the darker look as it was very dramatic but I like the dark swirls that I was able to still see in the clouds in this picture.



This picture was taken from across the rotunda into a well lit stairwell. I was impressed with how well this turned out for a couple of reasons. I only have the one basic lens on my Rebel and it often just doesn't do the job I want it to do when taking pictures from a distance like this. When I got the picture into edit I had found out that it surprised me on this one. I cropped it in a little but did almost nothing else to it. I really like the curving stairs here... grace.

I have more pictures to share with you, but many of them have my children or other children in them. I can't share them. Bummer.

Click the pictures to make them larger.

I linked this post to a wonderful blog that I admire greatly for her spirit and for her photography. She was having people link their pictures of beauty in unexpected places and I thought these fit. Check out her blog your eyes will thank you!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Sneaky Momma said...

That stairwell is beautiful! Great shots, Anna. :)

Rebecca said...

These are A.MAZ.ING. You have such a great eye for lines and framing!! I would hang both of these on my wall. :) Completely lovely. Thank you for sharing them!

Stephanie said...

The arch is my favorite, although both are amazing. The sky is very cool and I love the angle.

Anna said...

wow. it's amazing where we can find beauty! i love the stairwell also. i just sat there for a minute and studied it. you're so talented! thanks for commenting on my blog :)

 

just to name a few... | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates